
What a honor to come to a crossroads with two great artists - August Wilson and Romare Bearden! This year started theaterically for me. I was a sign master for August Wilson's play, "Joe Turner Has Come and Gone," at Baltimore's marvelous Center Stage theater. It was incredible to "meet" August Wilson - I had never heard of him till this opportunity arose. August Wilson was an African American pulitzier winning playwright/dramatist known for his black-nified plays like "Ma Rainey's Black Bottom," "Seven Guitars," and "The Piano Lesson." Why didn't I know about August Wilson prior to this? He took a lot of inspiration from Romare Bearden's art. Inset is Bearden's "Folk Musicians" (1941-42). I learned about Romare Bearden from a art history class I enrolled in a few years ago. We must educate ourselves about art. Henry Ossawa Tanner and Lois Mailou Jones are other mentionables. Vive le art. We must tell others about OUR artists. Visit these two websites to learn more abour Wilson and Bearden: http://www.augustwilsoncenter.org and http://www.beardenfoundation.org
No comments:
Post a Comment